Why Babe the Blue Ox?
- Babe is a recognizable figure in Minnesota folklore with statues and imagery in various parts of the state.
- Babe represents pride in our cultural heritage and traditions.
- Babe has qualities that the DFL wishes to evoke: strength, loyalty, perseverance and kindness.
- Babe is larger than life but still accessible and approachable.
- Babe can be embraced by all Minnesotans.
Why an ox or bull?
- The ox represents honest work and steady progress.
- By plowing fields, the ox lays the foundation for a bountiful harvest in the fall.
- In Christian symbolism the ox represents strength, service to others and individual sacrifice for the greater good.
- Bulls and oxen have historically been used as a source of income and economic security.
- Bull markets signify that investors have confidence and wealth is expected to increase.
- It pays homage to the Farmer-Labor party.
How to explain it to voters?
- DFL: Strong. Hardworking. Fighting for you.
What is special about this logo?
- Babe looks to the left, the side of the political spectrum inhabited by the DFL.
- Blue is the color of the national Democratic party.
- The shape of Minnesota is visible between Babe and the “L”.
- The logo is simple, elegant and versatile.
- It modernizes the party identity and moves the party image forward.
Want to learn more?